At CC Bio we design and build precision therapeutics which manipulate the human microbiome, preventing disease before it starts. By leveraging the combined power of synthetic biology, systems biology and automation we are engineering a new class of efficacious and cost-effective therapeutics which will improve patient outcomes worldwide.
Senior Scientist Role - Synthetic Biology / Molecular Biology / Microbiology
We are an award-winning synthetic biology focused venture backed by a global pharmaceutical company. We have exciting plans to grow over the next 24 months and further develop our human biotherapeutics. Accordingly, we are seeking a skilled synthetic biologist / molecular biologist to join the CC Bio team and help us realise our mission.
Description of Your Role
The highly motivated, curious and self-driven synthetic / molecular biologist will join the CC Bio team in Q1 of 2022.
As the lead of our Athena programme, you will help discover, design and develop genetic biosensor systems in bacteria and in yeast. These biosensor systems will form central components of our core therapeutic technologies. Your time will be split 80:20 between the wet and dry labs: you will integrate our previously developed software pipelines with high throughput biological assays to reliably produce high-quality experimental data.
What You’ll Do in This Role
- You will utilise a number of proprietary and publicly available bioinformatics tools to discover and characterise genetic components of biosensors in silico.
- Using these components, you will build libraries of complex biosensor circuits capable of detecting multiple inputs.
- You’ll test the fidelity and acuity of these biosensors across a number of different bacteria and yeast backgrounds using reporter assays.
- You will actively develop new high throughput methodologies to enable rapid characterisation of genetic circuits.
- You will automate these methodologies using simple robotics where possible.
- You will keep excellent experimental / data records for cross functional teamwork and project learnings.
- You'll organise and manage your time effectively, balancing competing priorities based on business goals and the focus of your wider team, to deliver to commercial timelines.
- As an employee of an early-stage, growing company, you will also have the opportunity to build your experience in certain commercial and operational aspects of the company.
What We’re Looking For
- You have a PhD in synthetic biology, molecular biology, microbiology, biochemistry or similar.
- You have the ability to generate and implement new ideas in the wet and dry labs with excellent troubleshooting skills.
- You have a good understanding of synthetic biology techniques, with a particular focus on DNA assembly methods.
- You have experience with molecular biological procedures including PCR, DNA extraction, plasmid preparation, SDS-PAGE, recombinant protein purification.
- You have routinely cultured and genetically modified Escherchia coli and one other microorganism. - You are familiar with genetic reporter systems e.g. GFP, and in particular, will have previously utilised plate readers to monitor gene expression / microbial growth.
- You are able to independently curate literature and design experiments in an autonomous fashion.
Additional, But Not Essential, Skills: “Nice to Haves”
- You are familiar with open-source software and bioinformatics tools in the synthetic and systems biology space.
- You have previous experience developing bioinformatics tools / analysing large datasets using python or R.
- You have experience culturing and genetically manipulating anaerobic microorganisms. - You have previously worked in a commercial biotechnology environment.
How You Enjoy Working
- You enjoy conceiving interesting ideas, discussing them and then putting them into action yourself. - You actively seek to collaborate to solve problems, and have no problem working with people who have different viewpoints and backgrounds.
- You don’t take constructive criticism personally and understand that in scientific research, the results of your work do not always represent your efforts.
- You like to work on meaningful projects, and more generally, be part of businesses which are focused on human health research.
- You enjoy working independently but seek out guidance where appropriate.
- You’re not afraid of defending your ideas and approach and are happy to appropriately and constructively challenge viewpoints of your peers.
- You will receive an industry-competitive salary which will be based upon your experience.
- You will work in a modern facility in Central London, with a growing scientific start-up community.
- You will work within an organisation with a generally flexible working culture and will receive a generous leave allowance.
Our company culture is, and will always be, inclusive: we will not discriminate based upon gender identity, race, nationality, skin colour, age, disability, relationship status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected right or status.
If this job role is a good fit for your skillset, please get in touch with Matthew@ccbio.co.uk before December 15th, 2021. In your application, please include your CV and a cover letter which details why you’d love to join us, and why you’d be a great fit to help CC Bio’s work!